James is a Director at Ralli Solicitors and Head of our Personal Injury Team.
He joined Ralli Solicitors in July 2004 after completing a training contract and post qualification with Rowe Cohen, now Horwich Coglan Cohen solicitors, qualifying in 2000. He then spent 2 years working as a personal injury solicitor for Clement Jones Solicitors in Liverpool and became a Senior Associate of Ralli Solicitors in 2007 and then a Director in 2010.
He has over 18 years’ experience in handling all types of personal injury claims, specialising in serious and catastrophic injuries.
During the course of his career, he has been instructed in many high profile serious injury cases, including PC Terry v Greater Manchester Police, Barton v Tandy, Clemens, Jonny Craig and Canham v Makis Leisure.
James strives to maintain the highest level of client care at all times, achieving the best results for his clients.
- Accidents at work (employers’ liability)
- Accidents in public places or areas (occupiers’ liability and public liability)
- Serious injury
- Criminal injuries
- Road traffic accidents
- Sporting Accidents
Education, professional qualifications and memberships
Law LLB Hons
Legal Practice Course (LPC)
Why did you join Ralli Solicitors?
I wanted to be in a firm that excelled in personal injury to develop my technical ability as well as my career.
Who inspires you?
Sir Alex Fergusson. A continuous refusal to accept mediocrity, aligned with talent and not resting on his considerable achievements meant coming second was never good enough.
Key cases or achievements
Any client’s case however big or small is important. It is always a privilege to be entrusted to represent a client in what can often be the worst moment for them and their family.
During my 12 years at Ralli I have had some high profile and unusual cases.
- I have received many instructions in cases where the client has suffered devastating physical and psychological injuries, including a number of cases involving acquired brain injury. I have worked on cases where the settlements have exceeded £1 million and worked closely with doctors, rehabilitation providers and the family in order to not only to obtain justice but to assist in the adjustment to life following such injury.
- Law Society Gazette Lawyer of the week – June 2008 for a victim who sustained a serious injury to the wrist in a road traffic collision in Seattle, USA and worked with US attorneys to secure a significant settlement.
- I successfully represented the Manchester City trainee who had a cigar put in his eye by Joey Barton, which concluded at mediation in 2009.
- Ralli Solicitors acted for the family in the tragic case of PC Terry v Greater Manchester Police (GMP) as a result of the fatal shooting of PC Terry by his colleagues during a flawed firearms exercise in 2008. Following the inquest in 2010, at which a verdict of unlawful killing was returned, we concluded the civil case as well as liaising with the family and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) through the subsequent successful HSE 2013 prosecution of the GMP and two of the officers who planned the exercise. During these years I conducted press conferences and numerous interviews with national and local media.
- I have acted in some unusual cases on liability and once acted for a farm worker who sustained injuries after being charged by a cow that had been separated from its calf. This was reported in several national newspapers and featured in the Manchester Evening News as the strangest cases of all!
- I have featured on the BBC for acting for the victims of assaults by security and door staff and once acted for a postman who was the victim of an unprovoked assault in front of his young children whilst on holiday in Bridlington, Yorkshire.
- I have acted for numerous amateur and semi-professional footballers who have suffered serious leg injuries with lifetime consequences following negligent tackles, featuring in the national and local media.
Describe yourself in three words
Kind, helpful and relaxed.
What others say
Mr G, client: “Dear James, I wanted to write and say a big “thank you” for all your help and advice during this process.”
Mrs H’s family, client: “We would just like to say herein how appreciative we all were for the advice and guidance you gave us during what was at times a confusing (especially for my mother!) process.
Hobbies and interests
I am interested in history, politics and sport.
Ralli is …