Should you be unfortunate to be assaulted and injured during the course of your employment, there are a number of options that you can consider in relation to a personal injury claim.

We are supposed to feel safe at our place of work.  The last thing we should anticipate is an assault, whether it be physical or verbal, or both.  Although some working environments are more dangerous than others, such as bars and clubs, as well as care homes, psychiatric wards, and prisons, this does not mean we should suffer any type of physical abuse.   Employers are required to put measures in place to reduce the chances of this occurring, and if they fail to do so, you have grounds to bring a claim against them.

If your employer has ensured they have reduced the risk to a minimum, i.e., through training, ensuring up to date risk assessments are in place, having appropriate staffing levels, providing  Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) etc, and there are no grounds for a claim against your employer, you can still make a claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority is a Government body which has been set up to compensate for injuries caused to victims of violent crime in England, Scotland and Wales.   Any claim would need to be made within 2 years of the date of the incident and must have been reported to the Police at the earliest opportunity before a claim is lodged.

You could also bring a claim directly against the person who assaulted you, however  even if you were successful through the Courts, if the individual does not have the financial means to satisfy a judgment, it is unlikely you would see any compensation.

  • Share this article!