If you were injured in an accident in a public place, please call our no win no fee personal injury solicitors for a free consultation on 0161 207 2020, or start your claim online using our dedicated form and we will call you as soon as possible.

We all lead busy lives, which often means dashing to and from public places on a daily basis. You should be able to go about your day without the risk of injury. Businesses and public bodies such as councils have a legal duty of care to ensure all areas open to the public are safe, and that the risk of injury to visitors is minimised. This duty of public liability covers anywhere open to members of the public such as schools, supermarkets and shops, public footpaths, parks, swimming pools and restaurants. Occupiers also have a duty to protect trespassers; therefore there may be occasions where it is possible to bring a claim if you did not have permission to be on the premises or land.

If you have been the victim of an accident or injury whilst in a public space, you may be able to claim compensation, if the owner or occupier of the premises failed to ensure your safety.

We will give you straightforward advice and work with you to get you the best result.

Public park


We have a long history of representing clients who have been injured in a public place, or on private premises. The size and experience of our team means that it is highly likely we have already successfully recovered compensation for an accident or case that is similar to yours.

The most common injuries within public places are caused by falling objects or people slipping or tripping.

Some of the common places these accidents happen are:

  • restaurants, clubs, bar and fast food outlets
  • supermarkets, shopping centres and shops
  • pavements, roads and steps
  • pedestrian zones
  • parks and public gardens
  • leisure centres and sports clubs
  • private or rented properties
  • underneath scaffolding.

Accidents in public places are complex and laws can vary depending on the organisation that has control of the area.

  • Local authorities – under the Highways Act 1980, local councils have a statutory duty to inspect and maintain all public highways including roads and pavements, so they would be responsible if your accident was caused by broken or missing paving slabs, potholes, faulty lamp posts, poor lighting or icy pavements, which have not been gritted or salted.
  • The owner or tenant of the building e.g. supermarkets, shopping centres and shops, have a responsibility at law to ensure that they have taken all reasonable steps to ensure that those premises are safe for visitors. These compensation claims are known as occupiers’ liability claims.

Accidents in public places have one thing in common, that is they are usually as a result of a failure on the part of a business or property owner or public body to comply with their duty to ensure that premises open to the public are safe. If you have an accident in a public place and you sustain an injury, the key question to ask is, “who has responsibility for the area in which you were injured?.” Negligence must be proved with evidence against the occupier, for a public liability compensation claim to succeed.

Many thanks to all at Ralli Solicitors.  Fantastic result. Tracy Horton  – your professionalism put my mind at ease from day one.

Mr Cooper, Walsall – March 2014

What To Do If You Have An Accident In A Public Place

In order to build a strong case to show that your accident was a result of the failings of the local authority, the owner or occupier of the premises, please take the following steps:

  • Take photographs of the area where the accident happened. In cases involving badly maintained pavements, make sure you also measure the defeat to give us an idea of the depth and height.
  • To help your case, you should report the accident to the staff or owner at the time, make a note of your accident in the accident book if possible.
  • Take the names and addresses of any witnesses who may have seen what happened and confirm that they would be happy for us to contact them if necessary.
  • Seek medical attention if you are injured.
  • If you are intending to claim expenses as part of your public liability compensation claim such as prescription costs and travelling expenses, remember to keep receipts as evidence.
  • Obtain the name and address of the location where the accident occurred.
  • Contact our team of personal injury solicitors on 0161 207 2020.


While most people recover from their injuries in time, others can be left with long term disabilities and financial hardship. The compensation awarded will reflect:

  • the physical or psychological damage, or both
  • the pain and suffering caused by your injuries and the things you need as a result of your injury, and
  • the losses you have endured – e.g. loss of earnings caused by your accident and the injuries you have sustained.

The amount of compensation awarded to you depends on:

  • the seriousness of your injuries
  • the extent of financial loss from your accident and injury
  • the support you will need in the future to lead a fulfilling life.

Our aim is to put things right back to the way it was before your accident, and for you to be fully compensated for your injuries, upset and losses.

See how much you could claim using our compensation calculator

How To Make A Public Liability Compensation Claim

If you have had an accident in a public place then please talk to our experienced team of personal injury solicitors. We will work collaboratively with you to establish how the accident occurred, who was at fault and who is liable.

There are strict time limits for starting a public liability compensation claim, which in most cases will be within three years of the date of the accident or date of knowledge of the negligence. This can, in exceptional circumstances, be extended, but it is always best to speak to our team of friendly personal injury solicitors to get the best advice possible from the outset.

Please contact our team of specialist personal injury solicitors for a free, no obligation, consultation on 0161 207 2020 or fill in our online claims form and we will call you back.

We will give you clear advice on whether you have a claim for compensation at the outset and support you through each step of the process on a no win no fee basis, pursuing those responsible to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, and the best medical support to aid your recovery.