If you have been involved in a Road Traffic Accident and your child was present, it is likely that your parental instincts will kick in and you prioritise their wellbeing and recovery. An afterthought may be to pursue a claim for personal injury for yourself as you are aware of your injuries. You can however also pursue a claim on behalf of your child if they are under the age of 18.

Even if your child does not appear to be injured, you should keep an eye out in the days and weeks following the accident for the following symptoms of whiplash:

  • stiffness in head, neck and/ or shoulders
  • restricted movements in the same areas
  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • nausea

However, for younger children it may be difficult to identify these symptoms and you may also want to look out for the following:

  • change in behaviour
  • change in mood
  • change in sleeping habits

If your child does have any of the above symptoms or characteristics you should consult with your GP as soon as possible. You may receive a diagnosis of whiplash; however, you do not need a diagnosis to raise a personal injury claim on behalf of your child.

If having read this article you are thinking about bringing a claim for your child, it is never too early to start engaging in good practices that may benefit your child’s claim.

Tips for bringing a claim on behalf of your child:

  • keep a diary of symptoms and changes in behaviours/ moods
  • keep a record of any time off school/ nursery/ college etc
  • try to keep receipts of any medication you have purchased for them because of the symptoms they have experienced since the accident
  • try to keep a log of any medical and/ or other appointments that you have attended because of your child being injured in the accident e.g. GP appointments, trips to A&E etc.
  • If you have had to take any time off work, you should also try to keep a record of the same.

This advice may ease the process of recovering damages for your child however they are not compulsory and you should not hesitate to contact us if you believe that you may have cause for a personal injury claim for your child or yourself.

  • Share this article!